Tuesday, February 5, 2013

fresh, homemade tortilla chips. YES.

Homemade Tortilla Chips!

I'm not sure why homemade tortilla chips seems like such an amazing and impressive thing. But it is! My wonderful husband is actually the one that taught me how to make them. If you sit & thing about it, it shouldn't really require a recipe but it did... In fact, up until recently, I still had him do them if he was home. Fact is, if you use white tortilla's, its pretty darn easy and REALLY TASTY. So. There you go. Grab some white tortillas. Cut them into your favorite shape. I cut a stack in half horizontally & then do 4 or 5 vertical cuts. If you don't cut them at all but leave whole, they tend to pillow up and are harder to cook. Toss them into hot oil (not smoking but sizzle - 375 degrees is good) stir & flip a few times (so they don't stick) and let them brown. Take them out of the oil and let dry on paper towels. Shake salt on top and toss with hands. Voila! I used to make them on the stove top - I have a sauté pan that I reserve just for oil & frying - but recently got a "deep" fryer and it works just lovely for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment